Policies » Section B: School Board Governance and Operations » BCA: A Model Of Conduct For School Board Members
Policy Date: 08/04/2005Download Policy Now
CSD File: BCA
CANDIA SCHOOL DISTRICT
A MODEL CODE OF CONDUCT FOR SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS
Members of the Candia School Board shall agree to the following code of conduct:
- We will not be coerced into decisions by pressure groups. Rather, we will listen to all points of view and try to make decisions based on all available data.
- We will strive to identify our own personal biases and prejudices and to keep them from influencing our decisions.
- In the consideration of financial matters, such as budget approval, school construction, salaries, and purchases, we will attempt to maintain a balance between fiscal responsibility and a commitment to quality education.
- We will attempt to differentiate between decisions that should rightfully be made by the administrators and those which should be made by the school board, keeping in mind that the school board’s functions are legislative and evaluative, that is, to make policies and monitor their implementation.
- We will remember that a school board functions only as a total board in a legal meeting. I will not attempt to exercise authority as an individual and will not make unauthorized commitments on behalf of the board.
- If I should be a member of the minority on any vote, I will abide by the majority opinion.
- If contacted by a parent or other citizen about a school problem, we will point out how important it is to follow a proper “chain of command” and that, if avenues of appeal have been exhausted, the complainant should seek recognition on a school board meeting agenda.
- We will respect the confidentiality of information disclosed in non-public session of the board.
- We will vigorously support school board policies which recognize the rights and dignity of all people, including students and employees, and which foster sound management practices.
- Even though we may have been elected by friends and neighbors, we will view ourselves as representatives of the entire school district and will not be influenced by partisanship. We will consistently support what is best for the total school district.
Adopted: August 4, 2005