Policies » Section J: Students » JCA: Change Of School Or Assignment
Policy Date: 01/31/2019Download Policy Now
CSD File: JCA
See also JEC & JFAB
CANDIA SCHOOL DISTRICT
CHANGE OF SCHOOL OR ASSIGNMENT
In circumstances where the best interests of a pupil warrant a change of school assignment, the Superintendent or his/her designee is authorized to reassign a pupil from the public school to which he/she is currently assigned to another public school, or to approve a request from another Superintendent to accept a transfer of a pupil from a school district that is not part of the SAU, under the following conditions and procedure.
CONDITIONS AND PROCEDURES FOR REASSIGNMENT
1. The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) (or Superintendent of another SAU) shall make a written request to the Superintendent or consents to the recommendation of the Superintendent for a change of school assignment. In the request, the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) shall state why the best interests of the pupil warrant a reassignment.
2. The Superintendent shall fully consider this written request, shall meet with the parent(s) or legal guardian(s), if necessary, and shall make a decision concerning the re-assignment request.
3. The Superintendent’s decision shall be based on the best interests of the pupil, as determined by the Superintendent. The Superintendent may develop administrative regulations concerning the factors that will be considered in making such a determination.
4. If the Superintendent determines that the best interest of the pupil warrants a reassignment, he/she will present the matter to the school board. The board must vote to approve the re-assignment before the reassignment can occur. Upon school board approval, the Superintendent may reassign the pupil to: (a) another school within the same school district; (b) another school district within the same SAU; or (c) a school district in another SAU, subject to the pupil meeting the admission requirements of such school, and subject to the agreement of the Superintendent of the receiving SAU and approval of the school boards of both the sending and receiving school districts.
5. The Superintendent will issue a written decision to the parent/guardian.
6. The total reassignments or transfer made under this policy in any one school year shall not exceed one (1) percent of the average daily membership in residence of a school district, or five (5) percent of the average daily membership in residence of any single school, whichever is greater, unless the school board votes to exceed this limit.
7. Reassignments made under this policy which exceed the percentages provided in #6 above, must have the prior written approval of the School Board.
COUNT OF RE-ASSIGNED PUPILS. TUITION PAYMENT AND RATE, AND TRANSPORTATION
Pupils reassigned under this policy shall be counted in the average daily membership in residence of a given pupil’s resident school district. Said pupil’s resident district shall forward any tuition payment due to the District to which said pupil was assigned.
The Superintendents involved in the reassignment of a pupil shall jointly establish a tuition rate for each such pupil. Some or all of the tuition may be waived by the Superintendent of the receiving district for good cause shown, or pursuant to any applicable policy(ies) of the receiving district, presuming said action is not contrary to law.
The cost of transportation for any pupil re-assigned under this policy shall be the sole responsibility of the parent/legal guardian.
ROLE OF DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
The Superintendent of the pupil’s resident SAU shall notify the Department of Education within thirty (30) days of any reassignment made under this policy.
MANIFEST EDUCATIONAL HARDSHIP CHANGE OF ASSIGNMENT
When a parent(s)/legal guardian(s) believe that an initial assignment has been made which will result in a manifest educational hardship to the pupil, said parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may seek a change of assignment in accordance with RSA 193:3 and Policy JEC, Manifest Educational Hardship.
A placement made relative to a student’s special education needs and services shall not be deemed a change of school assignment for purposes of this section.
RSA 193:3, III, Change of School Assignment
RSA 193:14-a, Change of School Assignment; Duties of State Board of Education
Adopted: August 2, 2007
Revised: October 6, 2011
Revised: November 05, 2015
Reviewed: February 2, 2017
Reviewed: January 31, 2019