Policies » Section E: Support Services » EHAA: Computer Security, E-mail And Internet Communications
Policy Date: 06/03/2021Download Policy Now
CSD File: EHAA
CANDIA SCHOOL DISTRICT
COMPUTER SECURITY, E-MAIL AND INTERNET COMMUNICATIONS POLICY
The school district has established this policy with regards to access and disclosure of electronic
data composed, stored, sent, or received by employees using the district computer system. This
policy is designed to protect the safety and security of the district’s computer systems including
e-mail and Internet use.
The school district intends to enforce the rules set forth below and reserves the right to change
these rules at any time.
1. The computer hardware system, software and e-mail system are owned by the district, and
all messages or data composed, stored, sent, or received using the system are and remain
the private property of the district. They are not the property of the employee.
2. The computer and e-mail system is to be used for business purposes only. Personal business
is unauthorized and should not be conducted on the system.
3. The electronic mail system may not be used to solicit or proselytize for commercial ventures,
religious or political causes, outside organizations, or other non-job related solicitations.
4. The school district prohibits discriminatory, harassing, or offensive materials in any form of
media. Among those which are considered offensive are any messages which contain sexual
implications, racial slurs, gender-specific comments, or any other comments that offensively
address someone’s age, sexual orientation, religious or political beliefs, national origin, or
5. The electronic mail system shall not be used to send (upload) or receive (download)
copyrighted materials, trade secrets, proprietary financial information, or similar materials
without prior authorization.
6. The school district reserves and intends to exercise without prior notice, the right to read,
review, audit, intercept, access, or disclose any and all information on an employee’s
computer system or messages created, received or sent over the electronic mail system for
any purpose, even if coded or passworded.
7. The confidentiality of any message or data should not be assumed. Even when a message is
erased, it is still possible to retrieve and read that message. The use of passwords for
security does not guarantee confidentiality, or that the district will not retrieve it.
8. Any communications created, sent, or retrieved using e-mail may be read by individuals other
than the intended recipient.
9. Notwithstanding the district’s right to retrieve and monitor any e-mail messages, such
messages should be treated as confidential by other employees and accessed only by the
intended recipient. Employees are not authorized to retrieve or read any e-mail that is not
sent to them. Any exception to this policy must receive prior approval by the
10. Any employee who violates this policy or uses the computer system or electronic mail system
for improper purposes shall be subject to discipline up to and including discharge.
11. The district has the authority to terminate or limit access to any program at any time.
12. The District will take all necessary measures to maintain student privacy relative to the
District’s website, online information and storage of student personally identifiable
information, as required by state and federal law.
RSA 194:3-d, School District Computer Networks
Adopted: April 6, 2000
Revised: June 7, 2012
Revised: June 6, 2019
Reviewed: June 3, 2021