Policies » Section I: Instruction » IJ: Instructional Materials
Policy Date: 12/02/2010Download Policy Now
CSD File: IJ
CANDIA SCHOOL DISTRICT
The Board is responsible for overseeing all instructional materials used in the District.
Administrators and teachers may select instructional materials from a variety of media, including, but not limited to, books, online/internet materials, equipment, newspapers, other media, and instructional technologies. Selection of such materials shall be made only after a determination that such materials are age appropriate, provide quality learning experiences, and fit within the district’s educational goals and philosophies.
All instructional materials will be selected based on their ability to provide quality learning experiences for students in that they:
1. Enrich and support the curriculum;
2. Stimulate growth in knowledge, literary appreciation, aesthetic value, and ethical standards;
3. Provide background information to enable students to make intelligent judgements;
4. Present opposing sides of controversial issues at appropriate grade levels;
5. Be representative of the many religious, ethnic, and cultural groups and their contributions to our American heritage;
6. Depict in an accurate and unbiased way the cultural diversity and pluralistic nature of the American society; and
7. Be matched to the appropriate skill levels of pupils.
Basic instructional course material in the fundamental skill areas of language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies should be reviewed at intervals not exceeding five (5) years. All instructional materials must be sequential and must be compatible with previous and future offerings. Final decision on purchases shall rest with the Board.
Legal References: NH Admin Rules, Sec. Ed. 306.08, Sec. Ed. 306.14(e)
Adopted: November 2, 2000
Revised: February 5, 2009
Reviewed: December 2, 2010